Thursday, August 2, 2012

Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken with mushrooms & potatoes!

Last night for dinner I prepared my first WHOLE chicken - it was amazing. Here is what it was...

1 3-4 lb broiler/fryer
2 cubes chick bouillon (I used the Organic Better than Bouillon paste type stuff)
1/2 lg lemon or 1 sm lemon
1/4 t paprika (I used a little bit more)
3 T minced fresh flat-leaf parsley (I used dried as that is what I had - just sprinkled it on - didn't measure)

2 med size or 1 lg onion cut into wedges
2 cloves chopped garlic
2 T soy sauce
1/4 t salt & 1/8 t fresh ground pepper
6-12 sma potatoes (I used red potatoes from our garden)
6 oz fresh mushrooms sliced 1/2" thick (I used cremini)
Rinse & dry chick thoroughly. Cut off lumps of fat. Put bouillon cube in cavity. Squeeze lemon & reserve juice. Put rinds in cavity. Put chick in slow cooker - breast side up. Sprinkle with paprika & parsley. Put onion wedges & garlic around the chick. Pour over the soy sauce & lemon juice/salt & pepper. Crumble bouillon cube over chick. Top with pot & mushrooms. Cover & cook on high until instant-read thermometer into thickest part of thigh registers 180 degrees - 3.5 to 4.5 hrs. To serve discard lemon rinds & portion potatoes, mushrooms, onions & chicken in shallow soup bowls & discard skin & bones (I kept bones to make a stock) Spoon some of the liquid over for ea serving. From "Not your Mother's slow cooker cookbook" by Beth Hensperger & Julie Kaufmann. AWESOME book if you like using a slow cooker - I have two versions of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment