Saturday, March 24, 2012

You know you are doing something right...

There are moments that keep you going. I just handed Avery a bottle and asked him to give it to Owen - he did. Evan then told Avery "Nice job Avery"... so sweet. Within the last month there have been a few such incidents - a couple that come to mind... Avery had just gotten up from a nap and was not happy, he was crying and wanting to be held, I asked if he would  like to play with Evan in the playroom... he shook his head yes. I put him down on the floor and he stood there crying and opened up his arms - Evan came from across the room and gave him a big hug and informed me that Avery needed a hug - awwwww - yes, these are the moments that keep a mommy going. Another example was one morning we were all getting ready to take Evan to school for speech and Evan informed me he needed to have pants with pockets... ok... wasn't sure why, but I helped him find a pair of pants he liked with pockets. We went to school, he went to speech then got back in the car. After speech we were on the way to their friends house to play, MMO (Mom's Morning Out), and he asked where Avery's pacifier was - I said it was at home, he replied that Avery NEEDED his pacifier, then proceeded to pull one out of his pocket and said that he had one for him - how thoughtful of him to think of his brother - again - gotta love these moments. These are the moments we need to remember when they have once again torn up their train table and are using the top as a slide or they have grabbed every single pair of shoes and removed them from their shelves in the closet for the third time in ONE day.

Avery has been a bit more clingy than normal lately, when trying to accomplish a lot it isn't  always very convenient - but I try to remember that these moments will go by so quickly. I try to just sit there and enjoy them. They do grow so quickly - I know we have all heard that, but it is soooooo very true. Same thing with my middle of the night sessions with Owen as he is teething. Soon I won't be able to hold any of them and they surely won't want to be bothered with something as silly or embarrassing as mommy holding them or making a fuss over them. There are always reasons for old sayings... "Remember to stop and smell the flowers" this will be my mantra during this next week of preparing for this crazy birthday party. It has been so much work getting everything ready - but I hope that we can all live more peaceful lives with the house in better order and that we create a memory for them, even though they are all so young still - lots of pictures ;o)

So why is it that juice (same water/juice mixture that is found in Avery's cup) tastes sooooo much better coming out of Owen's cups? Does Avery prefer the style (all three) of Owen's cups or is it just more fun to sneak away Owen's cup and try to drink it all before mommy finds him? I just found him hiding behind the drapes, knowing full well that he was not supposed to be drinking from Owen's cup, but his own.

Yesterday I created 43 brownie/ice cream cupcakes in preparation for the party. The first ones are not very pretty, I am sure they will taste great - but I failed on presentation. By the third batch though I was a pro. We will have some with cake at the bottom,  some with brownies at the bottom and four (4) or five (5) flavors of ice cream on top (Oreo cookies & cream, Heath bar, Snickers, Rocky Road and possibly, for adults mocha)- all will be specified by the sprinkles on top and a chart near them. So now I have meatballs (around 300) in the freezer, 80 dairy free, nut free, egg free sweet potato chocolate chip muffins (one of Evan's favorite things) in the freezer. So food preparation as well as getting house in order is proceeding along nicely - just not quite enough time - but then there never is - ha! Alex continues to cut out wooden shields and paint them with silver spray paint and is working on painting the boys castle - it will be a very busy work weekend!

Last night Kristen, Trace, Elle & Cason came over and we cooked out - the kids loved playing together. Family has always been so important to me and I love that the next generation is already treasuring time with family.  A few weeks ago we were going out to eat - just a quick dinner out as we were running errands and Evan informed us that he wanted his friends to come. I asked which friends and he replied Elle & Cason. I loved that not only does he know that they are his cousins, but that he considers them his friends.

We are truly blessed! (Now I just need to remember that when I am sleep deprived and they have brought out every single pair of shoes or every single block and strewn them across the house)

No comments:

Post a Comment